Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Deliver me

As it is just now a few hours before the Ash Wednesday service, I'm starting to feel like I always feel as we enter the season of Lent...I have realized how much the mood of the liturgy affects my own mood. Which is good, cause that's what it's supposed to do :)

As I am sitting in the office, trying to get some work done, I've been listening to David Crowder Band a lot lately. Just as I was thinking about my mood getting lower and lower-it's not that I'm super sad, just finding myself entering the penitent attitude that begins Lent-the song "Deliver Me" came on.

Deliver me out of the sadness
Deliver me from all the madness
Deliver me courage to guide me
Deliver me Your strength inside me

CHORUS:
All of my life
I've been in hiding
Wishing there was someone just like You
Now that You're here

Now that I've found You
I know that You're the One to pull me through

Deliver me loving and caring
Deliver me giving and sharing
Deliver me this cross that I'm bearing

Oh, deliver me

Jesus, Jesus how I trust You
How I've proved You o'er and o'er
Jesus, Jesus precious Jesus
Deliver me
Come and pull me through
Come pull me through

I think for me, this is a good song to begin reflecting on the season of Lent and God's role in my life. While I've discovered God, and lived joyfully into that discovery for the past few years especially, during this liturgical season of Lent I am called to specifically examine this. What do I need to surrender to God at this point, to encourage this relationship and dedication to my Maker even more? I know for certain I am being called to a greater prayer life, in consistency and content. I hope to discover great new things through Scriptural study and through the spiritual disciplines class I am leading at church in the coming weeks. While I haven't come to the one thing I truly need to be "delivered" of, I know it's there, and some earnest searching will lead me to the answer. In the meantime, I trust that all I do in God's name I do because I am called to do it, and that I am no longer trying to hide anything from God. So my prayer right now, God, is to be awakened anew to your call on my life. Continue to bring me into the light, so that I may understand what I need to shed and what I need to take on to continually grow in my faith, trust, and hope in you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment