Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hasbro=meaningful ministry

So I have had two very blessed bible studies the past two nights. Honestly, I think they've been more of a blessing for me than for the participants.

Last night was our regular youth bible study, which in all actuality is more of a junior high boys bible study because of who our "regulars" are. We've been using curriculum that's taking us through the book of Genesis but I haven't really been feeling it lately. I had one of those *hit head here* days at school and was feeling pretty negative and by the time I got to the church to review the study I just knew this wasn't what I wanted to teach. So I started to think about what I needed to hear, hoping that I could relay that into a message that would speak to my students.

The word that kept popping into my head was joy. I knew that's what I needed to hear. Where I was taken was to Philippians 2:14-15:
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.

Was I ever convicted. This was the total problem with my attitude after class--complaints, arguing, I was 100% focused on and surrounded by negativity.



Our bible study ended up being a really good discussion (with three junior high boys, mind you) about what we complain about, why we argue with our parents, siblings, classmates, etc...then, we played Jenga.

As we took out each block we named something we had been negative about during the day, something we'd complained about, or someone we'd argued with. One of the things we talked about was how we make the decision as to what type of blocks build up our attitudes: blocks of negativity or blocks of good attitudes, which can help us to shine like stars in our world today.

It totally wasn't my intention but that game of Jenga was like a public confession. Who knew? And then we started building crazy towers, and making Jenga catapults...it was awesome. And totally what I needed.

Tonight was our senior bible study, and we read John 3. We had a good discussion about new birth, baptism, and assurance. Always good to throw in a little Wesley :)

So thanks, God, for leading me where I need to be led. And thanks for putting great students in my path to guide me along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment